Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 76.126.60.69
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 AM

Carburetor flooding question

After trying to track down starting problems I think I have finally figured out I have an issue with the carburetor.

Ended up pumping the tank dry, and have confirmed that the gas looks clean and water free.

Still, however, it was taking several minutes to start the engine. Also, the engine was now stalling at various RPMs.

Thinking I had air in the system, yesterday I tightened all connections and ran the engine for 30 minutes with no problems. About 15 minutes after shutting down, I noticed the strong smell of gas. There was gas dripping out of the carburetor where the choke attaches. I removed the flame arrestor and there was about 2-3 ounces of gas there.

I am assuming I have a bad float? How much gas should normally be sitting in the air intake? Could the carburetor be flooding, making it hard to start and now also causing these shutdowns?
  #2   IP: 76.7.103.223
Old 10-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Afourian MVP

" How much gas should normally be sitting in the air intake?"
None.

Dan S/V Marian Claire
  #3   IP: 72.194.223.97
Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Afourian MVP

Step 1 is to rebuild the carburetor so it quits leaking gas. There is a problem with the float or the needle valve. When you put the carb back on the engine be sure the choke is working properly - post #2 in the referenced thread.

TRUE GRIT
  #4   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 10-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Afourian MVP

Your carb is overflowing - this is BAD.
You're going to have to open up the carb to do the float & float valve. Test the float by submerging in warm water - it will bubble if it's bad. Recommend you get the carb rebuild DVD from our host and do it right.
  #5   IP: 50.206.89.98
Old 10-02-2017, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. The weekend before last I went out for a weekend cruise. The engine stopped a few times, but on the way back, ran for about 90 minutes with only one incident at cruising RPM, from which it immediately restarted.

Then last Wednesday we did the local (last of the season) beer can race (that's us on the far left), and it died several times, and was hard to restart; when it did, it let our a big puff of smoke, which I now think was pooled fuel. When we got back to the dock it quit under idle. Again, I was thinking air in the system. For the record, I do have a fume sniffer right next to the carb--no alarms have gone off at any time, although it did when I opened the air intake. The dripping fuel however means the carb may be the problem.

I am planning to order a new carburetor and also a rebuild kit. Rebuild the old one, and keep it as a spare. I'm also thinking I will replace the gas lines. They are 12 years old, and have just had exposure to bad fuel/water.

Really want to get my engine back to being a reliable part of the boat. In 11+ years of ownership I have never experienced this degree of unreliability.

I will (hopefully) update this post with good news in the near future.

--Chris
  #6   IP: 72.194.223.97
Old 10-03-2017, 01:14 AM
Afourian MVP

You're on the right track for now. The KRAP in the carb didn't come from the carb itself. The usual source is the contaminated fuel is the fuel tank. If this happens again you will have to find sourced of contamination.
There are numerous threads about contaminated fuel.
If you don't have one already this would be a good time to install a polishing filter between the fuel pump and the carb.

TRUE GRIT