Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Drive Train / Propellers

#1   IP: 172.167.141.236
Old 05-04-2006, 07:23 PM

shifting into rev.

I can shift into foreward just fine, but it seems as though she doesn't want to go in reverse. Kind of a grinding/ revving/ whining sound. Any suggestions?

#2   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 05-05-2006, 08:30 AM

Reverse mode does not have a latching mechanism to hold it into reverse as the forward mode does. The fact that you hear a (normal) "grinding/ revving/ whining sound" is strong evidence that you're actually engaging reverse, but perhaps not completely. I would check the adjustment before doing anything else.

REVERSE MODE ADJUSTING PROCEDURE

1) When the forward mode adjustment is correct, recheck the reverse mode for proper adjustment. There should be a well defined neutral range when coming out of the forward detent, and reverse mode should be felt comfortably before the shifting lever in the cockpit reaches the limits of its rearward travel.

NOTE: There is no detent in the reverse mode.

2) If the shifting lever in the cockpit reaches the limits of its travel before reverse mode is securely established, turn the 3/4" hex-headed nut of the reversing brake band clockwise.

3) If the reverse mode is reached too soon, and/or the neutral zone is so small that it is difficult to find a spot where the prop is not turning (one way or the other), turn the adjusting nut counterclockwise.

NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the retaining spring in order to turn the nut on the reversing band adjusting bolt.

Don

#3   IP: 172.145.68.179
Old 05-08-2006, 07:00 PM

'lil more help please.

I think I have a problem I need to solve first- it does take a "weightlifter" to engage and disengage foreard- leading me to believe that I do not have, "the forward mode adjustment is correct,". This was the first line of your reply, so I think I have to go back a little further. How do I adjust that? I remember reading it somewhere on this forum, and I will search for it again, but if you could direct me I would greatly appreciate it. And, are all of these things covered in the manual you sell, or is it like my original manual? Do you have a complete A-4 packag/ library? I would love to buy all the videos and books you sell in a complete package. I have DVD and VHS on the boat, but no internet. I have to check online at home and wait another week if I have questions on something I need to fix. I would bet a dollar to a doughnut hole that all of this is covered in your "stuff", and thsat if I had access to all of it I'd be sailing right now.
Thanks again for all of your and Ken's help!

#4   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 05-09-2006, 06:58 AM

The forward adjustment procedure is shown below. Since you do not have easy access to the Internet, you can call our telephone sales representative (Ken) at 610-421-4436 for information on our other instructional products:

FORWARD MODE ADJUSTING PROCEDURE

1) Place the cockpit shifting lever in neutral.

2) Recheck to be sure the reversing gear is in neutral by turning the prop shaft. The neutral position is at the point where the prop shaft turns most freely.

NOTE: If the forward clutch assembly is not in a good neutral position prior to adjustment, it will be very difficult to rotate the notched adjusting collar in step 6. It's frequently necessary to move the shifting lever slightly in the reverse direction for the reversing gear to free completely.

3) Remove the access plate on top of the reversing gear assembly.

4) Rotate the gear case cluster until the retaining pin of the adjusting collar is facing upward.

5) Loosen the retaining pin until the staked collar can be turned on its threads. It is not necessary to completely remove the retaining pin from its threads to turn the adjusting collar.

6) Turning the adjusting collar clockwise (as you would be facing the engine from the rear) will tighten the clutch disks when in forward. As a frame of reference, one notch on the adjusting collar make a large difference and is usually sufficient to prevent slippage.

7) Retighten the retaining pin.

CAUTION: It is very important that the end of the retaining pin extends into one of the notches on the adjusting collar before final tightening. If the end of the pin presses on the collar itself (between notches), or if the pin is simply over-tightened, it is extremely easy to break the cast iron pressure plate.

8) Place the cockpit lever in and out of the forward detent several times to insure a proper "feel". A solid detent should be felt while going in and out of forward, but the adjustment should not be so tight as to cause any concern that the ships cable and levers may be overstressed.

NOTE: Moving the forward adjusting collar one notch makes a rather profound difference in the force required to get the clutch assembly into and out of the forward detent. In some cases (particularly in pedestal-mounted shifting levers) one setting can result in more force than might be desired, while the very next notch looser results in some slippage of the clutch assembly at high power settings. In the very latest engines (circa 1979 - 1981), Universal installed forward clutch adjustment collars with notches closer together, to provide more control when adjusting the forward clutch assembly. You can check the difference in the two collars in our online catalog at moyermarine.com, product number: OREV_05_306.

9) If, after readjusting the forward clutch assembly, the neutral position of the shifting lever in the cockpit is in an awkward location, you can adjust the cable shackle at the engine or cockpit shifting lever until the cockpit lever is in a more natural neutral location.

Don

Last edited by Administrator; 08-13-2007 at 11:47 PM.